Saturday 29 August 2015

Poems and Songs

The Lost Timber Fox.
As I wandered out one morning
To free my sleepy head from rest.
I heard the timber of a tall tree moaning
Like a hunter pierced through the chest.
I following the crying through the trees
Until on the edge of a hill I found,
A cedar grove and one old Oak,
Here was the mystery of the sound.

“Break from me a willowy branch.”
I heard the old Oak say.” I said,
“I do not wish to…” said the Oak,
“There is no other way. I am a legend here,
The wind tells my story well.
I can show you the future clear.
The sound of my spiny whip will cast a spell."

Just then a branch broke in the wind,
Feld to the ground at my feet.
I picked up the long thin trembling wand,
With one stroke I made it hiss so sweet.
Then, taller it seemed I began to grow
As if I could see the tops of the trees.
The wind blew leaves around my feet,
A stiffening shiver ran through my knees.


Now to this day the story is told,
‘The legend of the lost timber Fox.’
A call to those that wander…
A cry from those Somewhere lost.
Yet somehow I know the real voice calling
My reply carries like the breeze.
As I limber up on windy morning,
To search for the old Oak trees.


By Lars Hansen (c1983.)

After All the Drones...                                                Berlin,1997

After all the drones of daytime vanish
Gathered in their hives - quivering on the Queen.
Night swells out of the ashphalt steaming
Into the alley comes the red cloaked neon...
Even by its darkness; as the blackest sky
Its workings through the vainly guarded eye
Sees the arrival of nameless haunted faces
Zaffer lamposts direct their wingless glide
Known to each and all - yet alone they fly
Angels of the underground.

Lowered to this world by mortal stain
Under the wicked watch of the moon
Bodies wet from the sting of piercing rain
Knife cuts the skin but love is the wound
Open the book - feel the pages like flesh
Whispering contradictions to tame the soul.
Savour the scent of ink fermentation...
Known to each and all - yet without a mold
Angels of the underground.


Kindness hangs...                                                                Calgary, 1992.

Kindness hangs its raincoat by the door
And ventures forth along the wood grain of an uneven floor
Taking the road of least resistance
Here to there is only a pattern of distance
Ending where the lines can't be drawn
Resting before joining then moving on
Insisting that motion is where everything belongs
Not caring for puddles or shallow ponds
Each movement transparent as the one before
Kindness arrives with its raincoat open
Inviting the moist and breathless wind
Renewed by its station on the old overcoat
Bleeding tiny pearls only charity can afford
Yielding only to the stain of Winter's yoke.


Heartbreak Waltz.                                                  1994

I know you showed up with him
Your friends have made that clear
But the music is slow and the lights are dim
And we're both just standing here.
You might think I planned in all this way
But it's last call so don't think at all
Let's blame it on the DJ...

I know this won't change a thing 
After all, it's been over a year
One last dance can't be a sin
After all, we're staying so near.
Let the music make you sway
Take my hand and understand
I have one last thing to say,

You don't have to close your eyes
You don't have to hold me tight
You don't have to remember the fall
Just dance the heartbreak waltz.

People hold on real tight
They can't let it go
Fleeting moments of love (it seems)
Don't have enough time to grow
But here we are and this could be our last
Stay awhile,it'll be alright
It's not too much to ask

You don't have to close your eyes
You don't have to hold me tight
You don't have to remember the fall
Just dance the heartbreak waltz.

There are times in your life when you need someone
'Cause the night is coldest when the weary day is done
On Saturday night we try to forget it all.
(So we) dance the heartbreak waltz.


TIME HAS TEETH                        Jan 2023


Time has teeth...
Chewing through our aging flesh
Always hungry - licking ticking tongue
With blotted belly full of the past
Fangs pierce the wrinkling present
While arms reach out over the dinner plate
Of tomorrow's final fragrant feast.


No comments:

Post a Comment