Tuesday 21 July 2015

Teaching Philosophy Statement.

             As an English teacher in a foreign language corporate community, my duty is to provide an environment in which students of all backgrounds and learning styles can thrive.  For the most part, my classroom consists of mature adults that are already employed as seasoned professionals. They come to me for career coaching and specific writing skill development. To be successful, my pedagogical approach must enhance their existing business skill set, as well as improve their ability to engage international corporate discourse communities.  My goal is to help my clients navigate in a hyper competitive business climate, communicate their valuable corporate knowledge to an international audience, and negotiate fluently in a fast paced, ever changing business world. I define my success as a teacher by the enthusiasm I can inspire in my students, as well as the intellectual equity I bring to their bottom line. My job is to help them cultivate their unique writing talents, work on building their confidence as a multilingual professional, and help them understand the complexities of business English in corporate America. In my classroom, I create a sense of urgency that is just as intense as the pressure carbon experiences on its journey to becoming a diamond. I see myself as a coach getting the team motivated and ready to win.
            A key component of English in the business world is Current Events. My students are expected to subscribe to the Wall Street Journal and other industry relevant publications. Reading and writing assignments will focus on day-to-day world events as they relate to the business community. In class writing assignments like "The Investigating Reporter" will challenge the students to think and write on topics related to contemporary issues. My goal is reinforce the fact that mastering English is a lifelong endeavor. The constant exercise of interpreting information from a daily news publication creates multicultural awareness and sensitivity that English language textbooks sometimes lack. It is important to tell the truth about the English language in ways that are culturally and socially sensitive. The power of the written word in editorial form can be highly controversial. Hence, an   essential forum for stimulating productive debate. This sort of passionate discourse is encouraged in my classroom because it promotes meaningful dialogue on topics that affect us all.
            The use of media and technology to enhance topics of discussion is an essential strategy in my corporate classroom.  I encourage team work and collaboration by involving students in stimulating group oriented projects. The use of multimodal assignments will enhance team building and project management skills. An example of media focused instruction could be titled, "The Book Cover."  A collection of cellphone generated snapshots that capture a predetermined theme or topic. Another example could be a detailed audio-visual presentation of a futuristic product launch or company newsletter. Every project will be preceded by well-defined discussion questions meant to inform and promote creativity.
            The student writer needs to develop their own voice. To facilitate this goal, I teach a variety of language arts concepts. No concept is taught in isolation. Instead, they are introduced with broader segments of the curriculum.  Major composition projects will focus on examining existing essay models with an emphasis on traditional methodologies. An important segment of the curriculum titled, "What Went Wrong" will highlight the typical mistakes writers frequently make, and teach proper revision strategies that can resolve common errors. In my opinion, everyone makes mistakes. The successful writer learns by identifying errors in grammar, sentence structure and proper word usage. My goal is to strengthen my students abilities to write, and help them develop the self-confidence to continually improve their craft.
            My role as a writing instructor must always be focused on making sure students understand their position of authority. In his work, Pedagogy of Freedom, Paolo Freire suggests that "to teach is not to transfer knowledge but to create the possibility of the production or construction of knowledge." This meaningful definition places the instructor in a role as mentor/facilitator who pushes students with meaningful inquiry towards their own production of knowledge. Within this framework, I will promote dynamic student-teacher and student-student relationships based on respect and trust. Every student will know that I care about their "better self." I will earn the respect of my classroom community by constantly delivering instruction that validates the student as a powerful, self-aware writer.
            The final grade received at the end of my English course is a direct result of the student's hard work. However, the more important course objectives are reflected in the endless possibilities for meaningful, long lasting interpersonal relationships. Language is a uniquely human gift. When we study a new language we reveal to others what makes us human, we are uncovering a part of ourselves that was hidden, and we share it with the world. Our language shapes who we are and, as a teacher of English, I celebrate the endless possibilities of what we can become.
Reflective Commentary
            "No person is a member of a singular community. Rather, they are a member of multiple and overlapping communities----communities of work, of interest and affiliation, of ethnicity..." (Kalantzis, 1995) This important quote helps to describe my classroom. The dominant word coupling here is overlapping communities. My classroom projects will continually incorporate a multitude of interdependent and interchangeable components. My teaching artifacts reflect this multipurpose approach. The Wall Street Journal will be the bridge between many learning portals as well as a key business oracle. The student of English composition should never be at a loss for ideas or stimulating discussion topics when the WSJ is a frame of reference. I want my students to read and respond to the best business journalists America has to offer. The Wall Street Journal is a flagship in this regard. A standard of excellence that educates and enriches in countless ways.
             The theoretical approaches I have only alluded to in my statement of intent are not specific for a good reason. My intended audience is not your typical college administrator or high school principal albeit just as astute. The boardroom of a multinational company in Spain or Italy isn't interested in Expressivist or Social Cognitivist theory. There is no place for the discussion of Murray, Bizzel or Delpit (unless they are valued company shareholders). The golden rule in the boardroom is always "time is money." My ability to teach SWBE (Standard World Business English) will be my key to opening the door to some very potentially lucrative opportunities in European commerce.

            Formal writing assignments such as analyzing essays and literary narratives will inevitably reflect company politics as well as future market trends in real world situations. Hence, my teaching philosophy will continually focus on workshop based instruction to emphasize the importance of team bonding as a coping mechanism.   

No comments:

Post a Comment